Turn up the heat with the colour of the season: copper. This flattering hair shade has been spotted on the likes of Gigi Hadid and Jorja Smith. Or perhaps you’ve been hooked since you watched The Queen’s Gambit (us, too). Coppery tones are really wearable, as they perk up complexions. All you need is a bit of bravery and know-how – and that’s where we come in.
First, a glossy finish is a must, which means starting with uber-healthy hair: Philip Kingsley Elasticizer Deep-Conditioning Treatment is a hair life-saver. And once you’ve coloured your tresses, finish with Charles Worthington ShinePlex Glossing Mist. Ready? Here’s how to colour without commitment:
If you’re light blonde to light brown, Shrine Drop It Hair Drops Peach lets you tailor the shade of orange (whether you want a deep sunset orange or barely-there tint). Brunette? Revolution Tones For Brunettes California Orange is ideal for adding a hint of colour and lasts up to 15 washes. Or, go bold with Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Permanent Colour 7.40 Copper Passion*. It’s suitable for all hair colours, except grey (which struggles to take colour, due to its natural coarse texture) and lasts up to eight weeks.
Exfoliate regularly: Turn haircare into self-care with the Tangle Teezer Scalp Exfoliator And Massager in Mint Green Whisper, Pretty Pink and Onyx Black. ‘Regular exfoliation will help reduce product build-up and flakes on the scalp,’ says trichologist Stephanie Sey. Use a scalp oil: Nourish your hair and scalp in the summer months with Umberto Giannini Banana Superfood Vitamin Oil to hydrate dry, frizzy locks. Remember SPF: ‘An exposed scalp skin needs sunscreen,’ says Stephanie. Protect it by using a spray, such as Shiseido Sports Invisible Protective Mist SPF50+*.
1. Start by making a parting (centre or side – you choose!).
2. Spray a dry shampoo, such as Lee Stafford Scalp Love Skin-Kind Dry Shampoo through roots and ends for lift and texture.
3. Brush hair into a loose low ponytail, keeping the texture at the roots.
4. Spritz Kristin Ess Dry Finish Working Texture Spray over the length of the ponytail, then wrap hair around the base of the pony and secure it in place with hair pins.
5. Add your scarf, then pull out hair strands at the hairline, for a softer, textured effect.
1. Begin by brushing through your hair to get rid of any knots and tangles.
3. Using a medium-hold spray gel (such as Vo5 Mega Hold Gel Spray) spritz the front sections of your hair where the waves will lie.
4. Starting from the base of the parting, make S-shape bends with the comb – keeping the hair flat to the head and using your fingers with every bend to hold the shape. Secure with pins.
5. Set the look with a strong-hold hair spray, such as Schwarzkopf Got2b Glued Blasting Freeze Spray.
1. Using a pin tail comb, add a central parting down to the nape.
4. Take a piece of hair from the pigtails and wrap around the base to conceal the hair ties.
Newsflash: you should treat your hair like a fancy silk blouse. Yep. ‘When you buy silk, you have to look after it,’ says Stephanie. ‘You don’t use a high heat and you wash it in a certain way. This is to keep it looking its best, while preserving it. Hair is the same – it’s a fibre that needs careful upkeep and management.’
In fact, skip heat completely whenever possible. Air-drying is a great way of dialling down the heat but getting smooth results at the same time. And this is all it takes:
• A microfibre towel to remove any remaining moisture.
• A wide-toothed comb (such as the Cantu Sturdy Detangling Comb) to gently remove knots.
• A lightweight mousse (try Vo5 Volume Foam Mousse) to boost body without the crunch.
These dream combos = less time indoors trying to perfect your style + more time outside in the sunshine
It’s time to discover the innovative skincare range from Florena, exclusively at Boots. Using a super-effective fermentation technique, along with gentle ingredients dervived from natural oils and flowers, their creams, facial mask and oils will instantly put the fizz back into your beauty regime. Find out more about Florena’s beautiful, vegan collection.